Haber is an auxiliary verb, which implies it helps different verbs categorical their tense or temper.
You’ll hear it on a regular basis in Spanish conversations, making it important to study.
Learn on to learn to use haber—together with haber conjugations, meanings, usages and extra—as an impersonal verb, an auxiliary verb and a participle.
We’ll additionally cowl all the haber conjugations and customary expressions that use this tremendous useful verb.
Makes use of of Haber in Spanish
Haber can take the type of an impersonal verb, an auxiliary verb or a previous participle, and can be utilized within the following methods:
- To point existence. Essentially the most fundamental use of haber is to point existence. This may be tangible, like Hay una mesa en el comedor (There’s a desk within the eating room). However it will probably additionally point out one thing intangible, like Hay química entre nosotros (There may be chemistry between us).
- To point a lack of existence. That is the other of the primary utilization. For instance: No hay ninguna cama en la cocina (There isn’t any mattress within the kitchen). You may as well use it to ask if one thing exists: ¿Hay velas? (Are there any candles?).
- Exhibits what should be carried out when coupled with que. Haber que means “should” or “should,” identical to tener que. For instance: Hay que tener cuidado (We/one/you/I should be cautious).
- As a serving to verb supporting the sentence’s essential verb. On this operate, haber and its companion verb categorical an motion that has been or might be accomplished. It’s roughly equal to the English “have” or “had.” For instance: Había salido (I had left).
- As a gift participle. You might even see it within the current participle type, which by no means adjustments: habiendo. This interprets to the English “having,” like this: Habiendo cenado, Luis decidió mirar televisión (Having eaten dinner, Luis determined to observe tv).
- As a previous participle. You might also see haber in the previous participle type, paired with its auxiliary verb type: haber + habido. For instance: Ha habido muchos cambios este año (There have been numerous adjustments this yr.)
Haber as an Impersonal Verb
Keep in mind that as an impersonal verb (a verb that doesn’t have a real topic), haber signifies existence and is at all times conjugated within the third-person type.
Let’s take a look at some extra examples:
No habrá posibilidad de amor en mi vida, porque Ana no me quiere más.
(There might be no probability of affection in my life, as a result of Ana doesn’t love me anymore.)
Hay demasiada tristeza en las noticias.
(There may be an excessive amount of unhappiness on the information.)
Siempre hay gente que no cree en lo verdadero.
(There are at all times individuals who don’t imagine in what’s true.)
Impersonal Haber Conjugations within the Indicative
The indicative temper discusses details—issues which have occurred, are taking place or will occur.
Haber is conjugated within the indicative temper when it’s used as an impersonal verb. So it can tackle certainly one of these indicative tenses:
Impersonal Haber Conjugations within the Subjunctive
The subjunctive temper discusses opinions, perceptions, prospects and extra.
Right here’s methods to conjugate haber as an impersonal verb within the subjunctive temper:
Frequent Expressions with Hay
Many helpful phrases in Spanish use hay.
You’ll hear these fairly incessantly, so I recommend including them to your flashcard decks and committing them to reminiscence:
- Hay de todo — There’s a little bit of every little thing
- De lo que no hay — The worst/the pits
- Aquí hay tomate / Aquí hay gato encerrado — One thing’s fishy (actually: right here there are tomatoes)
- A buen hambre no hay pan duro — Beggars can’t be choosers (actually: to good starvation there isn’t laborious bread)
- Es lo que hay — That’s all there may be
- Hay de todo como en botica — There’s a variety/there’s a little bit of every little thing (actually: there’s every little thing like within the pharmacy)
- Hay más tiempo que vida — There’s on a regular basis on the earth (actually: there’s extra time than life)
There are tons extra expressions the place you’ll encounter hay (or different types of haber), however this checklist is sufficient to get you began.
When you’ve dedicated these to reminiscence although, I extremely advocate trying to find extra the following time you chat with a local speaker or watch Spanish content material. Packages like FluentU make this even simpler since interactive subtitles are added to each video.
Haber as an Auxiliary Verb
When haber is used as an auxiliary verb, it’s paired with one other verb prior to now participle type (ending with –ado or –ido) to speak about actions which were or might be accomplished.
Han estudiado durante tres horas hoy.
(They’ve studied for 3 hours as we speak.)
Mateo e Isabella habrán estado casados dos años este mes.
(Mateo and Isabella could have been married for 2 years this month.)
Auxiliary Haber Conjugations within the Indicative
Within the indicative temper, you’ll see these types of the auxiliary verb haber:
Haber as a Participle
You might also see haber in the previous participle type, paired with its auxiliary verb type: haber + habido.
Ha habido muchos cambios este año.
(There have been numerous adjustments this yr.)
Participle Haber Conjugations within the Subjunctive
Within the subjunctive temper, haber conjugates like this alongside the previous participle type of one other verb:
Identical to the right tenses within the indicative temper, you’ll solely ever use haber + habido within the third-person singular type.
Haber Instance Sentences
Haber Follow Quiz: Check Your self!
¿Cuántas manzanas ____ ? (What number of apples are there?)
____ dicho que no. (He had stated no.)
Ya ____ terminado. (I’ve completed already.)
Espero que ____ muchos regalos. (I hope there are many presents.)
____ viajado para verte. (They’ve traveled to see you.)
____ sido un buen día. (It has been a fantastic day.)
¿Por qué no ____ nadie aquí? (Why is there nobody right here?)
____ tres helados. (There have been three ice lotions.)
¡____ tanta nieve! (There’s a lot snow!)
____ caminado mucho. (We’ve walked so much.)
So, what’s there in your eating room? Who’s (or isn’t) there in your coronary heart?
I feel it’s your flip to apply haber conjugations now.
And One Extra Factor…
For those who’ve made it this far meaning you most likely take pleasure in studying Spanish with participating materials and will then love FluentU.
Different websites use scripted content material. FluentU makes use of a pure strategy that helps you ease into the Spanish language and tradition over time. You’ll study Spanish because it’s truly spoken by actual individuals.
FluentU has all kinds of movies, as you possibly can see right here:
FluentU brings native movies inside attain with interactive transcripts. You possibly can faucet on any phrase to look it up immediately. Each definition has examples which were written that can assist you perceive how the phrase is used. For those who see an fascinating phrase you don’t know, you possibly can add it to a vocab checklist.
Assessment an entire interactive transcript below the Dialogue tab, and discover phrases and phrases listed below Vocab.
Be taught all of the vocabulary in any video with FluentU’s strong studying engine. Swipe left or proper to see extra examples of the phrase you’re on.
One of the best half is that FluentU retains observe of the vocabulary that you just’re studying, and provides you further apply with tough phrases. It’s going to even remind you when it’s time to overview what you’ve realized. Each learner has a really personalised expertise, even when they’re studying with the identical video.
Begin utilizing the FluentU web site in your pc or pill or, higher but, obtain the FluentU app from the iTunes or Google Play retailer. Click on right here to reap the benefits of our present sale! (Expires on the finish of this month.)