I’ve been messing round with completely different generative AI apps, similar to a lot of you. I’m making an attempt to determine how I can use them in my job and likewise get actually good at utilizing the assorted AI instruments. As a result of I create on-line programs, I’ve been engaged on making my very own illustrations that work nicely.
In a earlier publish, I shared some ideas primarily based on issues I’ve studying utilizing AI. I’m utilizing Midjourney for my examples, however there are a whole lot of instruments on the market to your preliminary experimentation.
Listed below are some ideas I’ve picked up and the way I make these free illustrated characters that I share on LinkedIn.
It Begins with Prompts
The key to getting the fitting pictures relies on the prompting. The problem with AI is that you simply by no means know what you’ll get and whenever you get one thing that you simply actually like, you could not get it once more.
- I begin easy and don’t attempt to overstate or be too descriptive initially. After which I work from there.
- I additionally have a look at what pictures folks share within the AI neighborhood and once I discover one thing I like, I attempt their prompts to see what I get.
- For prompts, I principally use a personality, an motion, after which the type. Relying on what I would like, I could add a location or one thing to supply extra visible context.
There may be a whole lot of bias constructed into the AI language fashions. For instance, if I kind in businessman, 99% of the time it will likely be a white businessman in a go well with. Why white? Why a go well with? That’s one thing it’s good to account for as you create characters.
Whatever the bias, I begin with one thing generic like businessman. That normally offers me a white man in a go well with. However that’s OK to begin. As soon as I get the fitting look, I modify the descriptor. Some tricks to get higher preliminary characters:
- As a substitute of simply “businessman,” use an age to see what you get. I discover 40-year-old is an efficient addition.
- It doesn’t matter what you get, the primary level is to see if you happen to can provide you with one thing constant.
- There are a whole lot of good movies now on how you can write prompts. The extra you observe and mess around, the higher you get.
- In some unspecified time in the future, I name it good and transfer on. My purpose is to discover a easy option to get a adequate picture. Enjoying round in AI for hours (or days…which is able to occur) is enjoyable, however not one thing I can afford to do for lengthy.
As you possibly can see within the pictures under, you get some fairly respectable preliminary pictures to begin. I can work with these.
Describing the motion is the place you get the pose you need and might use. I maintain it easy.
- I wish to insert “gesturing” as a part of the immediate. It offers me extra assorted arm positions.
- Add an emotion or state-of-being akin to “confused” or “indignant.”
- I additionally change the pose and should use “arms crossed” or “arms on hips.”
- Mess around and see what you get.
You’ll discover how the pictures change primarily based on a number of easy phrases.
As you evaluate the pictures above, you’ll discover that the kinds change fairly a bit. You’ll additionally discover that you could be not get the pose you anticipate. For instance, “arms on hips” consists of arms crossed. “Arms crossed” aren’t full physique poses. That’s one thing you must stay with.
As you observe and get to know how you can write prompts it is possible for you to to design extra constant kinds.
As talked about above, getting a constant type might be powerful. A number of it is going to come all the way down to the way you write prompts and the texture you get for them as you observe.
- For illustrated characters, I desire a comparable type and no background so it’s simple to wash up.
- My default immediate type is “flat vector illustration” as a result of that works nicely for lots of e-learning course design.
- It additionally works constantly more often than not. And even when the illustrated characters aren’t the identical, they usually are shut sufficient to make use of collectively.
- I do mess around with distinctive type descriptions. For instance, I’ll state “within the type of [add descriptor].”
As you evaluate the pictures above, you’ll discover that including a mode description to the “flat vector illustration” begins to supply a extra particular type that will get nearer to consistency.
Bonus Fashion Tip: Getting Rid of the Background
The AI picture is simply the place to begin. Usually you could have to do some edits to arms, faces, and many others. One of many predominant issues is getting a clear background in order that I can place the picture the place I would like it.
To get as clear a background as attainable, I add the immediate: “white background.” That works 90% of the time. The picture under is identical “arms on hips” immediate as above with the addition of “white background” within the immediate.
Overcoming Bias with AI
As I famous above, there’s built-in bias which might embrace issues like gender and race, but in addition type of garments. You possibly can mitigate a few of that by altering the descriptor. As soon as I get a picture type I like, I’ll begin to add extra descriptions to get extra various characters. Very quickly in any respect, I’ve a various set of characters from which to construct.
One factor to think about is your personal bias. For instance, I could search for a selected picture after which assume that it really works due to how “I see” that character and what it ought to characterize.
These are a number of the fundamental tricks to get began creating your personal characters with AI. In a observe up publish, I’ll share my secret sauce and what I do to hurry issues up and the way I edit the characters.
Don’t neglect to obtain the characters I’ve already added. I’ll be including extra, so maintain your eyes peeled.